Monday, March 14, 2011

Some thoughts

There have been a lot of things on my mind lately. I've been sad for the people of Japan and the families who have lost people they love. I've been thinking about the signs of the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and how even though it's scary, the scriptures talk about these things happening.

One wonderful piece of news though: Every single LDS missionary in Japan is safe and accounted for! There are six missions (I believe)and probably hundreds of missionaries. By Saturday, they were all reached and have been reported as OK. I am so thankful for that. I can't imagine having a son/daughter or boyfriend out on a mission, so far away from home, and not knowing if he or she is OK.

Let's all continue to pray for everyone who has been affected by the earthquake and try to provide help and relief in whatever ways we can.

Another thing on my mind: places I want to travel. My best friend Ashlea is in San Francisco this week for her spring break. Who would have thought they would charge $400 for an airline ticket traveling only two states away? Not me. Otherwise I would have been there with her. We watched The Pursuit of Happyness yesterday and I saw the Golden Gate Bridge and got really excited about the idea of going there someday. I'm also thinking a lot about our cruise this December! It's not too far away to start daydreaming.

And finally, I'd like to share a simple thing I learned today: I'm getting older. (Obviously.) But today I noticed a sure sign -- that I want to look younger than I am.

Growing up, people always assumed I was younger than I was. Once when I was 17, I took my 12-year-old sister Ashley to the dermatologist. The doctors looked at our paperwork and then asked, "Who's the 17-year-old?" No biggie if my little sister looks 17, but don't tell me I look 12!!

And then today, this is a conversation I had with a woman at work:

"So are you here for school or have you graduated yet?" (She didn't specify but I think she meant from high school...)
"Yea, I graduated from Brigham Young University in Utah last semester. I'm here for my husband to finish school."
"How old are you?"
"23."
"Wow! I wouldn't have guessed you for 23. I woulda guessed you for 18."

And instead of feeling sad that I'm a married graduate who looks like a teenager, I actually felt good about her comment! My parents said this day would come, but I didn't think it would be so soon!

Welp, happy Monday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment